Rotorz and PicaVoxel

TrentSterling

Topic

Rotorz and PicaVoxel

Sounds like a weird combination, doesn't it?

You may have noticed my old projects that have been optimized per model, and then merged via Rotorz chunking - but that wasn't enough to get the performance I was looking for.

ZwdJEIa.jpg

Enter PicaVoxel. (http://picavoxel.com/)

The idea is to create many PicaVoxel prefabs - so laying out a level in Rotorz may be a little slow, but when going to runtime, or building, we dump all that voxel data into a larger PicaVoxel Volume, getting the optimized Greedy Meshing that it can provide!

SntGVvq.png

Is the system perfect? No, not really. But the brush tools in PicaVoxel are nothing compared to Rotorz. And Rotorz wasn't built for voxel data! So this is a happy medium! I just wanted to share this mini-milestone. The script doesn't work with multiple chunks yet, but I think I may share it if there is some interest.

EDIT: Got multiple chunks working!

8hkF2IS.png

Last edited by TrentSterling (2015-04-22 22:59:04)

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 1

Interesting, I am curious; how does it tile the texture along the sides of the voxels? Is it one separate texture per face or is it doing something clever with atlases?

TrentSterling

Response 2

It's using greedy meshing and vertex data. No textures used in this implementation, unfortunately. It would be faster if it used textures and some proper UV mapping, but things are "fast enough" now as is. Here's a 64x64 test!

39vgTQh.png

ZNfvkkU.png