pixellore

Topic

Really? Why?

Can anyone know what has happened? Is Rotorz has stopped its support and development? :(

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 1

Rotorz Tile System will no longer be supported because unfortunately it has not been making enough money. Despite much effort business in general has been pretty tough and so regrettably I’ve had to make this difficult decision and to seek a job that can provide me with a stable income.

pixellore

Response 2

I see.

Best of luck Lea.

I have used your asset on my last project and it was pleasure. Your support was also excellent. I will dearly miss Rotorz. I still think this is the best tiling asset in the asset store. I hope you still keep this forum open for time, so any valuable info can be read upon. Also please do come from time to time to answer some questions for us. I fully understand that you can dedicate your time anymore, so I won't ask you to do anything heavy but maybe some odd questions about api from now and then. I am still going to use your asset for my current project.

Again. Thanks for the wonder times, and I do wish you a good luck.

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 3

Thank you for your very kind words and understanding :)

I've had a lot of fun building and maintaining the asset; but what's been even more fun is seeing the great things that people have created using it!

slik

Response 4

Lea Hayes, will you open source the Rotorz Tile System?

joepalos

Response 5

OH NO! This is such bad news, I'm so sorry to hear this!

Thanks for all the great support and for creating an amazing product. It really is one of the best assets I've ever used, if not the best.

I must second slik's query though, about open-sourcing Rotorz. It would be great for us who are already knee-deep in using Rotorz in our projects. Have you considered this, Lea?

Thanks again,

-joe

jeffsasmor

Response 6

I'd like to echo the call for source access.  I don't much care if it's open source or not but replacing it in my project would be a nightmare.

Furthermore - you can't even import the project into Unity 2017 (admittedly, beta). 

Try creating a new, empty project and just import Rotorz. When the API updater runs the Editor crashes. If you try to load the project again the editor crashes.

I get that you don't want to support it any more but w/o source all your former customers are hosed!

joepalos

Response 7

Let's hope we can get a quick reply from Lea, because this affects our projects tremendously.

I need to know whether to keep working with Rotorz or start building my own system, because with no open source Rotorz is bound to break with new Unity updates. It already does with Unity 2017. I can't keep working on something not knowing if it's gonna be useless tomorrow morning, and Rotorz encompasses pretty much every part of my project.

Ash Blue

Response 8

This is kind of terrifying to hear. Our project relies heavily on Rotorz Tile System. Is there any chance of open sourcing the system? As far as I know it's the most used tile system for Unity.

joepalos

Response 9

Still hoping for a dev response...this is important.

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 10

Apologies for the delay in responding to this specific question.

I am working towards open sourcing the entire project but it is going to take a little while.

In the interests of simplifying things I want to entirely drop support for Unity 4.

Feature wise the first open source release would be very similar to the current version; just re-organized a little bit. Since it will not be distributed via the Unity Asset Store I will have more control over how it will be structured.

I will post here when I have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

slik

Response 11

Thank you!

joepalos

Response 12

I appreciate the reply! It's good news that it's being open sourced, really looking forward to it.

An important question: will the API documentation stay up on this site or, if not be downloadable at some point?

Thank you for all your hard work, Lea. I'm sad that you didn't get to make a good living out of Rotorz, because it's a fantastic, efficient product and the best tile system for Unity by a long, long shot. Your support has been excellent, too. I hope you do well in your future ventures.

Last edited by joepalos (2017-06-11 19:21:44)

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 13

Thank you for the kind words :)

The documentation has always been included with the asset itself as a .PDF (for user guide) and .CHM (for api reference). These two documents are inside the folder "Rotorz/Tile System/Support/".

With the open source version the documentation will most likely be provided in markdown format instead of the current .PDF (which is currently authored using the DITA format because the PDF output quality is so nice) since Github renders this nicely and it's pretty easy to maintain.

joepalos

Response 14

It is indeed in the support folder! Never bothered to check, the API documentation site is so nice to use. It's well indexed too, I often just use Google for stuff directly.

Thanks again Lea.

Ash Blue

Response 15

Super duper thank you for the update Lea. Let us know when there is a repo we can contribute pull requests to help you out.

fregas

Response 16

As the Dude says, "that's a bummer man."

Support has been really good.  I'm in a situation where Rotorz doesn't work at all anymore, and I'm not sure why.  :(

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 17

fregas wrote:

As the Dude says, "that's a bummer man."

Support has been really good.  I'm in a situation where Rotorz doesn't work at all anymore, and I'm not sure why.  :(

What is it doing / not doing? did you upgrade to a newer Unity perhaps?

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 18

Btw, a lot of progress has been made on the open sourcing front - still some work to do but it's getting closer.

fregas

Response 19

I can't draw any tiles anymore.  I believe I had upgraded Unity, but then downgraded.  In any case, i'm on Unity 5.6.0f3 Personal.  Thanks Lea!