'Big' tiles

TrentSterling

Topic

I'm not sure if this is already a feature- but I haven't seen it. Any way we can get 2x1, 2x2, 3x3, or other 'big' tiles? I have a few things like staircases that are fat- and maybe just painting tiles and checking collisions before painting would be enough.

I'm going to modify the playmaker paint action to detect collision- and do some really basic stuff - but adding it as a permanent and supported feature might be nice- for coalescence and whatnot.

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 1

You can already paint 'Big' tiles simply by making the mesh larger; or in the case of 2D tiles using a single sprite which is larger than the usual tile.

The following video demonstrates this:

If you are working on an in-game level designer and would like to prevent interaction with partially filled tiles, then yes, you will need to modify your painting logic. One approach might be to fill the partially filled tiles with an Empty Brush.

I hope that this helps :)

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 2

You might be interested in this my new composite tiles example:

http://forum.rotorz.com/viewtopic.php?pid=142#p142

TrentSterling

Response 3

Composite tiles are an interesting way to mark cells as occupied. Currently the brush tool looks like it updates a composite area- so I'm not sure how that'd work on my stairs example.

Right now I'm using collider checks during runtime editing. It's pretty game specific, but it works well enough. If I place a fountain that occupies 3x3 cells, I slap a collider on it and make sure you can't intersect the fountain with a wall.

It's all about the end-users not screwing things up. If I was the only one putting levels together, it really wouldn't matter.