Corner Joints (Bridge from Current to Neighbour Tile)

JC

Topic

Hi,

I've searched, and searched, and I'm still not sure if your tiling system is capable of creating visuals such as these out of the box:
http://imgur.com/gRaC3Mr

Zoom in and look closely. The 2 rectangles is what i drew above the actual in-game representation. I'd imagine those 2 boxes to be actual tiles, and their 2DBoxCollider-s to be at the same position/size as well.

1) Notice the "overflow" from both rectangles on all sides.
2) notice the "joining texture" that connects the 2 corners of the 2 rectangles.

The only closest thing i've seen rotorz do out of the box do is like... change "currently painted tile" based on orientation (what neighbours are present). Hovewer what i see in the above example is painting "outside of the current tile" + the ability to then join corners with neighbour like that. In other words, when painting current tile, we consider empty neighbours also, and repaint them with the "excess" that you see in the picture comes from all directions of both boxes. Or am i seeing it wrong?

But to put it bluntly, my question is: "can i use rotorz to achieve same result like in the above picture?"

EDIT: Apparently i only saw footage of Autotile brushes being used. Would Oriented brush be able to fulfill the above role?

Last edited by JC (2017-04-07 20:18:27)

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 1

Hi

JC wrote:

I've searched, and searched, and I'm still not sure if your tiling system is capable of creating visuals such as these out of the box:
http://imgur.com/gRaC3Mr

Not quite like that no.

If you were to split the visual tiles into smaller tiles then you could get something similar by creating an oriented brush. I have drawn magenta lines to illustrate the rough placement of the mini-tiles:
mini-tiles.png

JC wrote:

Zoom in and look closely. The 2 rectangles is what i drew above the actual in-game representation. I'd imagine those 2 boxes to be actual tiles, and their 2DBoxCollider-s to be at the same position/size as well.

If you wanted to go with the mini-tile approach then you could create a little script which creates colliders with a logical offset.

JC wrote:

EDIT: Apparently i only saw footage of Autotile brushes being used. Would Oriented brush be able to fulfill the above role?

An oriented brush can describe anything that the autotile brushes can, and more.

Tileset brushes and/or prefabs can be added to brush orientations.

I hope that this helps with your questions.

JC

Response 2

Thank You Lea,

I very much appreciate the time and effort invested in your reply.

I see how what you propose could work, however, since my tile system would be exactly geared towards the mentioned visual output, i'm reconsidering building my own tile system to support just that. It seems it would prove more efficient way to do it (performance and structure wise. I'll need more additional things that i didn't mention in the original post, like transitions between different type of neighbours (dirt to stone to water etc), that might only further complicate the additional programming and design (splitting the textures and handling base-size tile abstractions seems counter-productive atm), also i want to attach stuff like animated foliage, hanging canopy based on orientation, then have different tile variations of the base-size tile abstraction etc etc.

I have one more question:
Suppose i was to use your Oriented Brush painting - that allows me to use prefabs as tiles. What does your system do additionally that could help me, that i wouldn't have to do myself? Example could be some kind of effective Occlusion Culling with Pooling (no need to go into details, i can search for those myself, for ex. i saw you post on Pooling using PoolManager the other day, simple "bullet list" is what i'm asking for).

Thank You!

Last edited by JC (2017-04-10 06:47:03)