Brushes UI enhancement

AdamP

Topic

Three feature ideas.

1)    Perhaps make a view type button (a third option after list and grid) which forces the brushs to render in the same order as they appear in the tileset. In my case I am using a 2d tile set that contains complex objects made up of many sprites. If I have an object, like a 3x5 tree, those tree parts are very difficult to find. I can work around this by switching to grid mode, and then widening the panel until it’s the appropriate width. But the next tile set may be different and require me to finagle the width of the panel again. With the addition of a horizontal scroll bar you could keep the tiles in the proper order regardless of the panel width.

2)    Perhaps allow certain icons over the tiles that indicate options that are set on that tile. The one that jumps out as obvious right away is ‘solid’. It would be nice to see at a glance if the tile is blocked or not, right from the brushes panel.

3)    Add the ability for either custom Extended properties, or the ability to add a few custom integers per tile. I have a workflow that could use a custom integer. Right now I’m using the flags 1-4 but an integer would be better. I could explore using the group number for a custom purpose, not sure about that property yet.

Thanks for making this great tool. I'm having fun with it!

AdamP

Response 1

Been using the tool over the weekend and have some workarounds for the above items. Perhaps these will help some other folks.

1)    It is possible to use a texture as a single tile, just switch the texture to sprit, drop it on the work area, create a prefab, and then use the prefab to define a new brush. At this point the complex object will remain as a single object for the purposes of putting it on the tile map. In fact the object can be larger than a tile, or in other words fall outside of the bounds of the size of a normal tile.

2)    I added a semi-transparent solid red brush, and a new tile system called “Blocks”. This tile system is set to render above all the others. Now I can use this ‘red’ tile to paint blocks and visually see where they are. In my code I check for the existence of a tile at whatever location I want, in the ‘block’ tile system. If I find anything non-null, I assume the tile is solid. This breaks with the ‘solid’ flag on individual tiles, but allows me to see all the blocked areas. It’s a workaround for sure.

3)    I did go ahead and use the group number field. It’s an available int, which is what I need. It works well for my purposes. I use it to push individual tiles up or down slightly in the z-index, depending on how far they are from the ‘top’ of the map. This allows my sprite player character to walk behind, and then in front of the tile. Works great!

The tool is flexible enough that with only minor alterations, or attacking a problem from another angle I was able to fulfil my current need.

I uploaded the test I'm working on just to learn the system. https://akpcogames.blob.core.windows.ne … index.html

Last edited by AdamP (2016-03-28 01:27:12)

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 2

Awesome I am glad that you found workarounds; thanks for sharing them for future readers!

Your feature requests have been noted.