Save on Existing Prefab confirmation

zee_ola05

Topic

When I save my TileSystem on an existing tilesystem prefab (via build prefab button), I don't get any confirmation popup. What if I really don't want to overwrite my existing tilesystem? I think this would be nice to have to not accidentally overwrite my "levels".

zee_ola05

Response 1

Actually, what would be better is having a save/save as/load button. This could be put on the Rotorz window.

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 2

zee_ola05 wrote:

When I save my TileSystem on an existing tilesystem prefab (via build prefab button), I don't get any confirmation popup. What if I really don't want to overwrite my existing tilesystem? I think this would be nice to have to not accidentally overwrite my "levels".

I have noted your feature request and will review this tomorrow before I upload the next BETA :)

People generally use the "Build Scene..." option instead which does provide various warning messages.

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 3

zee_ola05 wrote:

Actually, what would be better is having a save/save as/load button. This could be put on the Rotorz window.

You can already right-click your tile system in the scene palette to build an optimized prefab from it.

I would suggest checking out the "Build Scene..." workflow on an empty project. Most people seem to prefer this workflow.

zee_ola05

Response 4

Build Scene won't really work for me because scenes could easily get bigger in terms of storage.

Imagine having 100 tiles in your scene. If you build your level via "Build Scene", your level would be >5MB in size. Whereas, when you build a prefab (prefab + data), your level would only be ~4KB.

zee_ola05

Response 5

I might be using this the wrong way. I'm also interested in "How to use Rotorz to save multiple levels example (with small-sized level data)". This might be a good demo.

Last edited by zee_ola05 (2014-09-27 21:34:17)

Lea Hayes
Rotorz Limited

Response 6

zee_ola05 wrote:

Build Scene won't really work for me because scenes could easily get bigger in terms of storage.

Imagine having 100 tiles in your scene. If you build your level via "Build Scene", your level would be >5MB in size. Whereas, when you build a prefab (prefab + data), your level would only be ~4KB.

In theory the output size of the scene and prefabs should be equivalent since the same amount of data is being generated. Unless of course you are building and reusing smaller tile systems in which case, yes that is going to use less storage.

I have added the confirmation message as requested :)

Last edited by Lea Hayes (2014-09-27 21:42:54)